Geprom and Gefasoft lead the European project IoT4DigitalTwin in CELSA Group
8 January 2020
- The IoT4DigitalTwin project is part of the European initiative IoT4Industry within the Horizon 2020 programme.
- Geprom Connecting Industries forms a consortium with Gefasoft GmbH to digitalise and implement a digital twin in Celsa and thus advance towards industry 4.0.
The European industry is in a constant process of modernization. Internet of Things (IoT) technologies have already entered manufacturing and this trend will increase in its different phases and processes of Industry 4.0. Europe is continuously promoting investment in plant modernisation, which includes the introduction of new ICT technologies and in particular IoT, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity.
Therefore, the European Union proposes, within its Horizon 2020 programme, the IoT4Industry call, which has as main objectives to increase productivity, profitability and innovation capabilities of SMEs by accelerating their access to industry 4.0 and digital transformation. It also seeks to improve market access to new products and services provided by technology SMEs, strengthening their innovation and growth.
To these ends, the European Union finances the IoT4DigitalTwin project that Geprom Connecting Industries and Gefasoft GmbH are developing for implementation at Celsa, the Spanish private multinational, leader in the iron and steel sector and third largest manufacturer of steel products in Europe. The main objective of the project is to facilitate new tools based on IoT to improve and optimize production parameters in the steel industry, through the implementation of a new concept of interconnection and simulation software: digital twin.
Specifically, the scope of the project includes data acquisition and real-time production control through the Legato Sapient MES platform. The digital twin will be developed with the concrete and accurate information of the plant assets and the treatment of the present and historical data of the process.
The project is scheduled for completion in November 2020, with the ultimate goal of providing Celsa with a complete digital twin project. It will contemplate a set of integrated solutions to increase the efficiency of operations and thus advance in their firm commitment to industry 4.0. Specifically, the IoT4DigitalTwin project seeks the following benefits:
- Increased efficiency and productivity of operations.
- Reduction of operating costs.
- Ability to group and display production data in real time.
- Ability to observe the historical and current profile of the process behaviour.
- Real-time positioning of operators.
- Real-time monitoring of the production process.
- Virtualization of the process.
- Make decisions avoiding production stops and minimizing risks.
- Capacity to test modifications without introducing changes in the plant.
- Optimize logistics and production parameters.
- Elimination of paper use.
- Better KPI calculation and real time reporting.
- Continuous improvement of the production process.
- Scalable and standard product.
- Compliance with regulations.
MES Legato Sapient
What is a Digital Twin?
A Digital Twin is a digital representation and simulation that makes predicting the different flows of the production processes possible, building a virtual factory in parallel that allows decisions to be made and errors to be corrected before they happen. The main factors needed to implement a digital twin are process automation, data capture for production monitoring and control, technologies such as Machine Learning or Big Data, and a digital culture with connected people that guarantees the success of this 4.0 technology.
Currently the concept of Digital Twin continues to develop and face the various technological barriers that it encounters and that make it difficult to incorporate it easily into the industrial fabric. One of the main difficulties that the Digital Twin must face is the technical difficulty of massively monitoring all the processes of a factory, and all the systems and equipment that this entails. This is where the specific project for Celsa and the solutions it provides will be technically very innovative and will cover the proposed objectives.